Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fourth of July Fun

We had a great 4th of July weekend at my parents' house in Crescent Bar! The fun began with a rousing squirt gun war between Gabe, Daniel, Troy and my dad. Water gun sizes vary by age and seniority with my dad having the Super-duper super soaker and going down from there. At one point the boys had two guns each just to try to keep up with Grampa!!

Saturday night was the big Crescent Bar fireworks show. It's so great to be able to cross the street to the golf course, enjoy the show, and then walk back to Mom and Dad's trailer! We watched bats fly around before the show which is definitely not my favorite part. I tried to convince myself they're birds instead. :-)
On the morning of the fourth we all got up and got ready for the parade. This year we decided to decorate the golf cart and join the parade. The theme this year was Aloha so we put on our Hawaiian digs and got the golf cart ready for a luau and hit the streets of Crescent Bar. There were over 60 entries this year and it seemed like a bigger crowd on the streets than usual. Being in a parade was a first for all of us and it was fun. The boys are already dreaming big for next years' parade!

After the parade we hung out at the lagoon for a little bit but the water was pretty chilly and the wind was blowing making it a darn cold swimming hole. Since the grown ups weren't too crazy about swimming, the beach didn't last long. When we got back to the trailer the boys decided to try out Grammy and Grampa's slip-n-slide. Troy got some great action shots of all the slippin' and slidin'.

Unfortunately the action stopped when Gabe stepped into an under ground water-shut-off tube. He cut his leg pretty badly and since it was so deep, we decided it was best to take have it checked out. So off to the Quincy ER Gabe, Troy and I went while Daniel and Charlie stayed with Mom and Dad. The good news is that the ER wasn't busy and we got right into a room. The bad new is the cut on Gabe's leg warranted 5 stitches. He was pretty shaken up and not happy about having to get shots to numb the area but was fascinated with the process of getting stitches and watched most of the time. What a brave guy!!
There was a big fire in the area that had started before we left for the hospital. While we were gone the fire jumped the road and balled up traffic headed toward Wenatchee. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but traffic was stopped right at the turn off to Crescent Bar and we had to wait about an hour to go 3 blocks to turn down the hill. It was long and hot and frustrating not knowing how long it would be. We were so, so glad to finally get back to Mom and Dad's!
Since swimming was our plan for our last morning at Crescent Bar but no longer a possibility for Gabe for a while, we decided to go putt putt golfing at Tower Plaza instead. It's a really hilly course with no bumpers on the sides so it took some getting used to. But we had a great time and after playing we cooled off with sno-cones from Elke's Ice Cream Shop--yummy!
Overall it was a great weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment